Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Aunts rule!

Being a mom is awesome.  It's seriously the most rewarding, heartwarming, amazing (sometimes challenging) and exciting experience of my life.  I love it. I live for being a mom. But, before I was a mom I was an aunt. I saw a quote on a friend's blog today (check out this awesomeness http://babypmakesthree.blogspot.com/) that prompted me write about how awesome being an aunt is.
I was 15 years old when I found out I was going to be an aunt for the first time.  Little miss Hanna Jo arrived on January 27, 1998 and I was instantly in love.  Seriously, even at the age of 15, I could imagine that this must be what it feels like to have a baby.  The love I felt for her was boundless.  She had me wrapped right from the beginning. I was lucky enough to spend a lot of time with her when she was a funny little baby and toddler.  Now, she is a beautiful, talented, fun filled 14 year old who I truly consider a friend. (is it sad to have a 14 year old friend when your almost 30?)  She asks me for help with her hair.  I bug her about boys.  I'm so thankful to her for making me an aunt. (Plus, I'm now cashing in on all that free babysitting I gave her :)

Just a sweet little 5 year old.
Now, a gorgeous young woman. (I tear up just writing that)

A few year later, along came Zachary Ryan. Oh, my sweet Zachary.  What an awesome boy he is! I was lucky enough to work at my parent's preschool when Zach was a toddler and he was in my class (when he wasn't escaping to go find grandma.) Zach taught me what it is to love little BOYS.  He was a fun and determined even as a 2 year old.  And, he had the most awesome hair EVER!  Now Zach is a rockstar 10 year old. He's creative, sweet and still determined.  He works harder than any other student I know.  He's the first to volunteer to help someone else. He's confident and adventurous. This kid will try anything once.  I wish I was more like him...

This is seriously one of the best lookin kids I have ever seen...
  
Shortly after Zach was born, Lindsey Kaitlin came into our lives.  Since they were the same age (just two weeks apart) she was in my class at the preschool too! What a bright and bubbly little girl. She was particular about having things just so, in the most adorable way. Her attachment to her blankie was profound and precious. She too had some pretty awesome hair, right from the start. It brightened my world to see my brother and best friend as a proud daddy!
 

Our family situation with Lindsey is complex (and private) but I think of her often and will always love her as any aunt would...

2003 brought a lot of changes in my life including the birth of my nephew Adam Nathan.  Now I don't believe in having regrets in life, but one thing that saddens me deeply is the fact that I moved away to Cali when Adam was just 3 weeks old.  It  broke breaks my heart that I wasn't there for his first few years the way I was for his siblings and cousin.  Fortunately, my sister made the amazing decision to move here when he was 5 so I've gotten to spend the last few years playing catch up.  I got to be there for the first day of kindergarten and many other special occasions that I missed with the others.  I'm so happy he's here now.  He is such a vivacious, excited, energetic guy with a smile that lights up my world.  He's so dang cute, he could get away with murder. (with me at least, that's what aunts are for after all)

If this doesn't make you melt, you are heartless. Sorry to break it to you...


Last, but definitely not least my gorgeous niece Kaiya Love was born just 7.5 months after Patrick.  Steve promised me when I got pregnant that he would do his best to make sure Laura and I got to be pregnant together. I was not disappointed! Just a short time before P-mans arrival, we got word that Kaiya was on her way.  It's a good thing too. Being at the hospital for Patrick's birth was a little lot overwhelming for Laura and had she not already been pregnant, we may have been waiting a while :)  I was so sad (similarly to when I moved after Adam was born) when we found out just a few months later that they would be moving to Washington DC.  It was going to be difficult to properly spoil her from across the country. I was up for the job though... Now spunky little 8 month old that's tackling new milestones every day.  It's so fun to hear all the stories and remember that just a short time ago, we were in the same boat. I'm so happy they are now half a country closer and staying in Colorado.  I look forward to many years of cousins getting closer.


Not surprising...Gorgeous...


I see lots of matching jammies and wet willies in their future...I love it!!!


In addition to being biologically related to these fantastic little people, I'm incredibly blessed to have been adopted into the Jami/Deaguero family. Jessica is so special to me and I'm so honored that her kids consider me an aunt.  They call me Auntie Katie, which is just the cutest dang thing ever coming from a 6 and 3 year old! They are such a significant part of my life and I love them dearly.

I was lucky enough to be in the room when Logan Andrew was born in December 2005.  His birth was surprising and amazing! I was sad that the lived sooo far away (all the way downtown, a whopping 25 min drive) but I saw him as often as I could.  I eventually got a designated day to care for him and I picked him up from daycare every Tuesday.  He was never all that excited to see me, but it was the highlight of my week.  Now he's one of the smartest children I have ever known.  You know how they say kids are like a sponge? That's Logan. He so enthusiastically absorbs every piece of knowledge he comes across.  It's really fun to witness.  In addition to being so smart, he's hilarious, sweet and an awesome big brother.  He rocks! 

Seriously?!? Adorable...

If you're having a bad day. Call this guy. He'll make it better.

Then there was Bailey. Bailey was a little surprise to her mom and dad in September 2008.  I was so ecstatic to have a new niece, I could just die.  I bought up all the pink....and purple.  And flowers, and bows and everything girly I could get my hands on. I take great pride in the fact that Bailey got super attached to a blanket that I had bought for her before she was born. Purple and satiny soft. Logan also was attached to a blankie that I got him. I know how to pick em.  She gave her parents trouble that they hadn't expected.  This wasn't their first child after all.  Bailey is the perfect example of all children are different.  She is outspoken, strong minded, and all grown up.  She behaves perfectly when she comes to my house and that's all that matters.  (her mom says she's a little different at home :) She loves her big brother and wants to do anything and everything that he does. And have a mentioned that she is beyond CUTE?


Ok, not the best pic but it's funny

She's quite the little princess.  Just ask her...
This blog may be a little long winded but I love all of these guys so much, I just couldn't encompass all of their awesomeness briefly.  They are all so unique and special.  Each of them add to my life in so many ways and I can't wait to be there to see the amazing people they will continue to become. Being an aunt is an amazing blessing and I hope I add as much to their lives as they have to mine...

No comments:

Post a Comment