Thursday, February 2, 2012

I love my MOOBS

Those that know me well understand that I am an information hound.  Whenever I have an event in my life (wedding, vacation, baby) I dive into every piece of material ever written about said subject like a fat kid with chocolate cake. Of course, having a baby would be the biggest thing to ever happen to us so I was even more obsessed than ever before.  When Tim and I started trying to conceive (TTC)  I was delighted to find that What to Expect had a website with tons of information for psycho's like myself that can't just sit back and let things happen.  I was even more excited to find there was an online forum for just about every possible scenario in pregnancy or child rearing.  I excitedly joined the TTC forum and stayed there for 3 months.

When I found out I was pregnant, I moved to a new forum. The Expecting in October forum had 700+ members all over the world who were all expecting in October 2010.  The resource this group provided was beyond valuable.  Imagine having access to that many people going through the exact same thing as you. When you are pregnant for the first time, you worry about EVERYTHING. Every twinge or pain induces panic. When the baby doesn't move for 5 minutes, you want to head immediately to the ER to get things checked out. If you have the opportunity to get online and see that 20 other people are having the same issue that day, it sets your mind at ease. No one else can provide this kind of comfort. Not the father of the child, or the doctor, or your mother.  What does they know really :)  Of course it wasn't always smooth sailing.  There are a variety of controversial issues that arise during pregnancy and we had 700+ opinions to deal with.  We had mom's lose their babies, mom's who were on bed rest for months, mom's who went into labor terrifyingly early. I believe our earliest preemie was born at 27 weeks! We all survived together.

Before we knew it, October came and went and we were all left with newborns that someone expected US to know how to take care of. Not long after our babies came, many of us joined a newly created Facebook group just for us.  FB was easier to use and we could get to know each other more since our previous forum was public an this new group was private. When drama ensued, (as it must on the Internet especially when a large group of hormonal women are involved) the group split into a smaller group, still nearly 200 members, that we now lovingly refer to as MOOBs (Moms of October Babies.)

 I can't describe the way I feel about these ladies.  We're not always classy. We are not always politically correct.  A lot of us don't even like one another. BUT we are all going through many of the same issues at the same time.  We've been through every freak out over fevers and head bumps, every struggle with feeding and teething, every milestone from coming home from the hospital to talking and walking. We've shared every joy and every heartache together.  It's a very weird feeling to be so connected to people you've never met.  We're protective of each other. We support each other and offer advice that you will not find anywhere else than from someone who is going through the same thing AT THE SAME TIME. (that part is key)  We love each other. We hate each other.  One thing for sure, we are a passionate bunch who love our children above all else!
This was the first opportunity I had to meet some MOOBs (before we were MOOBs I believe.) Our babies were about 6 months and we went to the Jelly Belly Factory.
Logan (far right) was one of our earliest October babies, born in August.  Patrick and I got to go to his birthday party!
Bonus of going to San Jose for Uncle Steve's game was getting to meet up with the awesome Labby family.  Ollie is so cute I just want to smush him!
These relationships are so valuable...
Shopping with the babes and some MOOBs!

Seriously, we're sooo lucky to live in a day and age in which we can easily have access to such a wonderful variety of people that can offer such important contributions to our lives.  I WOULD NOT be the mommy I am without these ladies.  For better or worse :)

No comments:

Post a Comment