Saturday, February 11, 2012

Good eatin' at the Cronie house!

Anyone who has spent much time with me lately knows I've been pretty focused on making some major life changes regarding my health.  I'm hitting the gym 5 days a week, tracking everything I eat and focusing on healthy ingredients in my cooking. I'm 10 pounds under my PRE pregnancy weight and I feel great. And I'm having fun with my food. If you haven't found Pinterest yet, I encourage you to rectify the situation immediately.  I find so many amazing recipes and fitness tips there.

Also, since I'm not working or going to school right now I've been cooking more than I ever have.  P-man and I have great fun on our weekly trip to Whole Foods where I get to find the most amazing ingredients to make some yummy dishes!  I think Whole Foods should be designated the new 'happiest place on earth.' Just sayin...I thought other's might enjoy some of the recipes I've been using a lot lately!

Green Shake
 I realize this resembles the slime on Nickelodeon's Double Dare more than a beverage but it's delicious! Patrick likes it too and we split this awesome smoothie at least twice a week now. Super easy to make...

I use 1 whole banana instead of mango and add a half cup of fresh organic blueberries (MUST use organic blueberries see the Dirty Dozen.) I also use almond milk (just cause that's what is in my fridge) and i add a couple tablespoons of Greek yogurt to make it a little smoother.  Yummy and sooo healthy!

Whole Wheat Banana Bread with nuts AND chocolate chips
Like I said I'm making a LIFESTYLE change.  I'm not dieting.  I can not live my life without baked goods. I don't see the point in such an existence.  I'm just learning how to make those baked goods a little more beneficial to my body while still being tasty :)

I use applesauce instead of oil in this in order to lower the fat and calories.  It really tastes the same in most baked goods (not brownies though, I discovered sadly.)  I also cut the nuts to 1/4 cup and add 1/4 cup of semisweet chocolate chips.  It may not sound like much chocolate but it's just enough. I use light Agave Nectar instead of honey, again just because it's what I have in my cabinet most of the time.


Crispy baked salmon and sauteed green beans with turkey bacon

I don't like salmon. I don't like fish but, it's good for me.  Really good for me. So I eat it. I'm a grown up and grown ups have to do things we don't like.  I have found a recipe that makes it really crispy and yummy.  Plus, I can put an entire dinner together in about 15 minutes.  That's a huge deal with a 16 month old running underneath you while you cook.

The green beans are too easy. Just saute some turkey bacon (about three slices), throw in the some fresh green beans (snap off the ends) and cover to let them steam.  I had to add a little water and recover to get more steam. Easy and healthy but it doesn't taste like it!

I don't have pics of everything I've been making  but below is a couple more links. Not everything has been a success but I'm trying and Tim has been a great sport.  He eats everything I cook and tells me it's delicious, even when it's not...It's truly important for a spouse to support his/her partner in living the healthiest life possible.  I really don't understand when one partner doesn't want to get on board an effort to live as long as possible for each other.  This is IMPORTANT folks!

Califlower Pancakes  This is not a breakfast item.  It's a cheesy, delicious side dish and they are amazing!
Zucchini carrot muffins Again, I use applesauce, not oil and add 1/4 cup pecans and 1/4 cup chocolate chips

No comments:

Post a Comment