Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I have a social butterfly

Before Patrick came along, Tim and I spent hours talking about what we hoped our child would be like. We hope our son would get all the best qualities his parents have. Please Lord, let him get Tim's coordination. Otherwise, there will be no sports in his future! We hoped he would get communication skills from me. Tim is an amazing friend and partner but he's not exactly a big talker :) Yesterday I got positive confirmation that our mission has been successful.

I'm very grateful that Patrick is a confident child. He never cries when we leave him. He doesn't panic when I'm out of his sight. He seems to understand that his parents will always be there for him if and when he needs us. For this I'm grateful. BUT I do wish he had a little more comprehension of stranger danger.

Yesterday, Patrick and I went to Panera for some soup. (I'm more than a little obsessed with their chicken and wild rice) Patrick sat in his high chair and greeted every person there. Hi! Hi! Hi! He was a huge hit and the whole restaurant was commenting how adorable he is. Well, yeah... As we were leaving I put him down to grab a drink. He was right next to me when a man walked by. Patrick gave him an enthusiastic Hi! and the guy stopped to chat with him. Patrick immediately lifts his arms for this complete stranger to pick him up! Now I'm sure this guy was very nice but he was looking a little creepy. Construction worker with dirt and paint all over his clothes, tattoos on his neck, ponytail longer than mine and yellow stains on his crazy looking mustache from years of smoking. Not exactly someone you want holding your baby...

Fortunately, this guy did not take Patrick up on his invite to hold him.  He smiled very nicely, patted him on the head and told me 'It doesn't get any cuter than that', I agree! I just really hope that no one ever tries to kidnap my child. Is it still kidnapping if the child invites himself to go with the criminals???

No comments:

Post a Comment