Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Molars are an evil monster!

A little background info....

We have been extremely lucky in regards to teething for the last 15 months.  Patrick got his first tooth at 6 months old and we didn't even know it! We went to the Dr for a check up and she asked if he had any teeth yet.  My reply was "Nope, and we have had no signs of any coming in any time soon." She put her finger in his mouth to check only to find the sharp ridges already cut through.  Shows how much I know... I was even breastfeeding at the time and didn't notice! Man, I'm such a genius. My little man cut that tooth and the next 7 with no issues.

We saw no more teeth for several months.  Then, a couple weeks ago I was investigating and found his first molar had already cut! This one appeared with no symptoms or complaints just like the last 8. I was thrilled that I got to escape all the horrors I'd heard and read about regarding teething. Oh, how naive I am.

Then, completely un-provoked, one of my favorite people in the world cursed us. My awesome sister in-law, Laura, has a great blog http://laurakristi.blogspot.com/. In recent post, she discussed the unpleasant teething experience she has had with my sweet baby niece.  She blamed me for setting unreasonable expectations that she too may escape the teething monster.  She had no such luck and poor Kaiya has had a rough time. I felt awful that the genetic connection between cousins didn't carry her through without pain. 

NOW, the evil monster has been released upon our innocent household! The last 3 nights have been unpleasant to say the least.  My poor baby has been up for hours whining and crying.  We can see his poor gums are swollen and red. He's extra drooly and his hands are constantly in his mouth.  I feel so bad for him and there is very little we can do.  All I can hope is that this one cuts soon and the remaining teeth are a little kinder to my sweet boy! I'm telling him he can thank Aunt Laura for this one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment